© New Art City 2020-2022
Mission & Values
New Art City’s mission is to develop an accessible toolkit for building virtual installations that show born-digital artifacts alongside digitized works of traditional media.
Our curation and product design prioritize those who are disadvantaged by structural injustice. An inclusive and redistributive community is as important to our project as the toolkit itself.
- Built for Art and Access- New Art City is an artist run organization and each part of our tool is purpose built to support artists and art institutions in art collaboration, exhibition, and preservation. Our exhibitions don't require software updates or expensive hardware.
- Accessibility is Intersectional -Physical art experiences typically advantage those with physical privilege. At New Art City we believe that all people regardless of ability should be able to experience and enjoy art. We conduct accessibility testing and work with the disabled community in an effort to make our gallery experience accessible to all, beginning with our recently launched “Catalog” view. The Catalog is an automatically generated, screen-reader accessible description of New Art City spaces for users who may not be able to experience a 3D exhibition. If you have any accessibility feedback, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Humans > Algos - Our user experience prioritizes surprise and delight. We bring the unpredictable moments of human interaction into virtual space, and empower human beings to do the most human thing we know: make art, and experience it together.
- Ethics & Integrity - Platforms move fast and break things. We take our time and listen. We want to build a sustainable community and that takes patience. We don't like ads, so we don't sell ads. We prioritize user empowerment.
- Technology is Privilege - We empower artists of all backgrounds and disciplines to make unique and expressive virtual worlds without code in a broadly accessible and archivable format, and to show their work on a global stage alongside established artists.
- Supportive & Inclusive Community - We are a redistributive artist community. This means transferring knowledge, space, money, and visibility from those who have it to those who don't. Our partners in education, traditional galleries, museums, and institutions must share our values and contribute to the community in one of these ways.
Pictured: Sensible Gallery by Sammie Veeler